Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tomukun Noodle Bar Review

This was my second time going to Tomukun Noodle Bar in Ann Arbor.  I was excited about this place even before it opened last Spring. Noodles in general have been my favorite food for a long time. This coupled with my love of Asian cuisine was perfect. Their menu is not very large but it offers a nice array of Asian soup dishes.

This restaurant is not very big. The seating relatively comfortable. On one side there's a long wood bench that acts as seating for about five tables. On the other side are wooden chairs. It's not too bad but they're not something you want to lounge in. Even though the place is small my friend and I were seated right away. When I went there the first time I went on a Friday night and there was also no wait. The music is loud but not so loud that it drowns out your dining companions conversation. There is a TV above the bar but the sound is turned off and nobody was really paying attention to it, so it seemed a tad unnecessary.

My friend whom I was dining with ordered the pork buns. She liked them but she wasn't pleased with the extra fat around the pork. I had the pan fried pork dumpling which were great. the dumplings were crunchy and the dipping sauce complemented it wonderfully. For the main course my friend ordered the Be Bim Bop which is a Korean rice dish. I had the Duck Udon. The Duck was exterior was crispy but didn't over power the flavor of the broth. I'd had other Udon soups where the flavor of the boiled meat ruined the flavor of the soup and made it taste down right fowl. But this was much better. The portions are generous but not overwhelming. The beverage list is limited but the refills keep on coming.

Tomukun is not for unadventurous eaters. This is real Asian cuisine not some Americanized version. Their menu includes mostly authentic Korean and Japanese dishes. Each dish lists the ingredients underneath which is great for people to know what they're getting up front. The prices range from $3-$6 for appetizers and $9-$11 for main dishes. It's relatively cheap which is perfect for a college town like Ann Arbor. One down side there is no dessert here. So you'll have to go else where to satisfy  your sweet tooth.

This having been my second time being here I would defiantly go back. The hot soup is wonderful for the cold weather coming our way. This would be a great place to bring a date but I wouldn't bring the kids unless you know for sure they like this kind of food. If this place was in New York City there would be a two hour wait, but here in Ann Arbor their waiting for you.

~Food Love

Tomukun Noodle Bar
505 E. Liberty St
Ann Arbor, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment